April 01, 2012

Mermaid's Tears Beadwork Necklace

 I had beads laid out for a few days trying to get inspired and saw the big pearl at the bottom right and I thought it looked exactly like a tear drop.  I had mostly greens and blues picked out so the name Mermaid's Tears kind of clicked.  I worked around the blue luminescence of the pearl and used a netting stitch in various widths.  I learned it recently and although I find peyote much easier and faster, I want to try other techniques.  This tested my patience in places but I am happy I stuck with it. 


 As well as hundreds of seed beads in various greens and blues I used  a lampwork borosilicate lampwork bead centered at the bottom  with lovely swirls of teal blues and greens.  I used jade, varasite, labradorite, emerald, apatite, turquoise, blue goldstone, picasso glass, czech glass, pearls, glass and gemstones that I forget the names of.  Really it is like mixing soup so when I left Alberta I went to my bead room and started taking beads out of drawers that I thought would look nice together and put them into containers.  By the way, that is how I cook too.  I rarely use a cookbook.


I have way too many beads for this project but there will be another day and another project and I love all the colors together.  It seems to me when I was a kid there was a rhyme:  Blue and Green should never be seen..... I don't agree.  For me it is a perfect match.  I tried to emulate the ocean in this necklace which is a hard thing to do because it is not one color.  It is not blue and it is not green.  Sometimes it is steel grey or aqua or muddy brown so I have tried to put most of those colors in my necklace.  


But back to that tear drop shaped pearl.  It played a trick on me today when I was taking pictures.  When I found it on my desk that day, I could swear it was shaped like a tear drop.  When I look at these pictures now, all I see is a shape like a fish...... more like Nemo.  Oh well, sometimes the ocean does that to you.  Let me know what you see.

2 comments:

Blogger said...

Did you know that that you can make dollars by locking premium sections of your blog / site?
Simply open an account on AdscendMedia and embed their Content Locking tool.

Blogger said...

Are you monetizing your exclusive file uploads?
Did you know Mgcash will pay you an average of $0.50 per link unlock?