October 06, 2012

First Bead Embroidery Pendant

I took an online Embroidery Made Easy course with Marcie Abney Carroll last week and I felt like a  child in kindergarten.  Marcie posted a lesson each day and we worked at our own speed trying new stitches and testing bead sizes.  Her course is well laid out with easy instructions and videos so why did I feel lost?  Well, I was just simply out of my comfort zone.  And that's a good thing.  


I can see mistakes on this finished project but I am still proud of it.  It is hand made and there is room to improve.  But I love the colors of the stone and I did learn important lessons for beginners.  Use a bead that is fairly uniform in size - like perfectly oval for example, which this one is not.  It is also faceted which allows the beads to slip under on some of the sides and hide.  You want a bead that is flat on the back.  All of these errors I now recognize and will use them as stepping stones to making more perfect beaded embroidery in the future.

 

OK let's get on to the next embroidery project.

7 comments:

Sarah Sequins said...

What an awesome first cab! I'm so glad you enjoyed Marcie's class. :)

Christine Altmiller said...

this is beautiful! i love what you used. well done!
i look forward to seeing another one.
i still fear embroidery. i may need to try it at some point.

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

Beautiful, Katherine! I totally agree with your comments about "stepping stones" to improvement. Furthermore, I would assert that I have always learned more quickly from my mistakes. I think there is a certain freedom to displaying them and being proud of it!

windrock studio said...

Yes, I can see you've found your passion ~ gorgeous work! I now have you bookmarked and will be back to check out more of the lovely art.
Thanks so much for your visit.

AntiquityTravelers said...

This is such a pretty piece! I LOVE the colors in it ... and this is your first cab? you're a natural!

Mellisa said...

Wow, amazing for your first time at it! Love the color palette you chose :)

Anonymous said...

So pretty...I will have to remember to come to you for advice when I am ready to try that!!